Living Together or Living Apart
Common-Law Relationships, Marriage, Separation, and Divorce
Explains the basics of family law in BC. Includes information about:
- your rights and responsibilities if you’re married or in a marriage-like relationship,
- how spouses can work out agreements,
- how to work out arrangements for parenting if you have children,
- what to do if you decide to separate or divorce, and
- how to sort out money matters.
Printing the French version of this booklet was made possible thanks to the Canada-British Columbia Official Languages Agreement on French-Language Services. The French, simplified and traditional Chinese, Punjabi, and Spanish versions don't include the most recent changes and updates that appear in the English language version.